Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Talk about space...


Lloyd and Le Allen are to unique kids. You would have to define every day people in order to discuses weather the two boys differ from everyday people. In their eyes they would see everyday people as gangbangers or people struggling to make it. In my eyes I see everyday people as computer savvy cell phone carrying middle class people. So in that case the people I see everyday are not as deprived of economic opportunity as the two boys.
I think I would avoid them. I am not one to go out and associate with people I don’t know. Unless they came interacted with me there would be no other interaction. Not because I am not willing I just prefer the space. I would not want to infringe on their space as well.

1 comment:

nicolewilson said...

Mansfield,

What a writer might be thinking in his or her head has the potential to lose clarity when it gets to the page, which is why we have to be attentive writers who constantly proofread and edit and revise.

Your sentence, "In [Lloyd and LeAlan's] eyes, they would see everyday people as gangbangers or people struggling to make it" is an example of writing that needs more thinking through. The sentence implies Lloyd and LeAlan only see “everyday people” in one of two ways.

I disagree. I think Lloyd and LeAlan try to move beyond stereotypes or superficial assessments by asking questions and forming relationships in their community. Lloyd and LeAlan work hard to get to know people before forming opinions about them.

Do you think your sentence could use clarification? What additional details can you give the reader to provide insight into your perspective of Lloyd and LeAlan?