Monday, July 28, 2008

the struggles we face

In the book The last American Man Eustace has had problems in the past with his father. He flashes back when talking to Elizabeth Gilbert about the struggles he had to face with father. He remembers struggling with his father and always listening and still getting yelled at. For Eustace its hard to think about those times of having a bad relationship with his father. He also is facing a another struggle which involves him not being able to stay put with a woman.
In one chapter of the book it says that a woman is madly in love with Eustace and loves to spend every moment with him and listens to whatever he says. She even cooks for him and Eustace does gets mad at her for not cooking it correctly. He makes her go on hikes with him but Eustace stays far ahead from her. This shows he has struggles staying with women. My story would be about my struggles that would be bad like my parents getting divorce. My story also would be talking about my struggles in high school and it was hard for me to graduate on time.

1 comment:

Tyler Flynn Dorholt said...

Nando,

I think you touch upon some important elements, especially dealing with how we clarify our struggles and what it means to understand them as struggles. Do we avoid speaking of them or are they avoided out of being struggles in themselves?