Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Just Being Bri


LeAlan and Lloyd are so much different from people that I see every day. Both young men are growing up in poverty stricken homes and are living below the standards of people that I meet every day. I can personally relate to both of their personalities and although I’ve met some young men who are not as fortunate as I am, I have never met someone who can’t afford the basic necessities of life. I’ve met people who grew up in the Ida Bees, even my own mother can speak on that, unfortunately I don’t know firsthand what’s it’s like to live there and these two young men do.
I am not sure how exactly I would act in front of them. I know for sure that I would be myself which is goofy, but I’m sure that I would watch what I say and how I say it because I know in the hood sometimes some things may be taken the wrong way. I know that because of the beliefs that these two young men have, they wouldn’t act out when approached by a suburban girl like myself, but because of the hood mentality that they may have I know that if I say the wrong thing or act the wrong way it may be detrimental to my health. I know that sometimes people act a certain way when they get around people of another ethnicity or culture and I know that I am offended when it happens to me so I would be sure not to imitate them or try to be something that I’m not, so I would just be myself.

1 comment:

Tyler Flynn Dorholt said...

Why do you think it is that people change the way they act around certain cultures?

For instance, I remember being both a skateboarder and a hockey player when I was young. When I was around the skaters, I felt at ease and as though I didn't need to "change," yet when I was around the hockey players I felt the need to alter my slang, or subscribe to a certain external mentality. Is this because our basic nature is to fit into a situation to maintain a comfort zone, or is it because we really want to know where we "belong."